When we visited Fort Lauderdale earlier this month, we couldn't wait to head to the beaches. The challenge was to find a dog friendly beach.
Rocco loves to run in the sand and chase the waves. The dog beach pickings were a little slim in the area, so we headed down to the Canine Beach in Fort Lauderdale, even though the website said it was closed due to reconstruction project.
We figured if we headed down there super early, it might not matter if the beach was officially open. There were just a few other folks walking on the beach and no one questioned us, so we kept on going! And, as a bonus there were plenty of birds for Rocco to chase!
It was beautiful in the early morning. And a nice change from the cold that was sweeping through Atlanta and much of the rest of the country.
If we lived near a beach, I think we'd be there everyday! If you're planning a beach trip with dogs, here are a few things to keep in mind to help keep your pups safe:
- Don't forget to bring your own water. The ocean may look like a giant water bowl to your dog, but drinking salt water can be harmful to you pup, causing diarrhea and dehydration.
- Bring a collapsible water bowl. I packed one of these Popware Travel Bowls for our trip and it worked perfectly for a trip to the beach or a walk around town.
- Stay safe in the sun. If you'll be at the beach for an extended period of time, make sure your pup has shady place to cool off. Dogs can get sunburned too, so look for a pet approved sunscreen to protect pups with light colored noses or thin or short hair.
- Watch where you step. Keep and eye out for sharp objects or jellyfish (we saw quite a few!)
- Rinse and repeat. It's a good idea to rinse your dog with clear, fresh water after a romp on the beach to remove sand, salt and any other little critter that may be hitching a ride on their fur.
- Supervision is a must. If leash laws apply, keep your dog on a leash, but if it's an off-leash area, you'll want to keep an eagle eye on your pup. Not all dogs can swim and currents can carry them out too far for comfort.
Rocco looks right at home in Fort Lauderdale, doesn't he?
Do you have any more beach safety tips? Let us know in the comments below!
The fun and games continue every Friday with FitDog Friday, the weekly Blog Hop brought to you by To Dog With Love, SlimDoggy and My GBGV Life to promote a healthy active lifestyle for pets (and their people, too!). Join in every Friday by linking up your FitDog story or visiting the blogs in the Hop.