|Cosmo Havanese is ready for the 4th but he won't be attending any firework celebrations|
Keep your pets out of harms way with a few precautions and you'll have a much happier 4th of July. In addition to sheltering your pets from loud noises and dangerous fireworks don't forget that the products and foods that make your holiday barbecue a pleasure may be hazardous to your furry family members.
The ASPCA offers the following tips to keep your pets safe this holiday:
- Keep them home. Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them. The best option is to leave your pup indoors in a safe, secure, escape-proof room. Do not leave pets outside, even in a fenced yard, anytime fireworks might be set off.
- Make it comfy! Set up a comfy bed, food and water. Consider leaving a TV or radio on to drown out the sound of the fireworks and to provide familiar noises. And keep the windows and curtains closed to help muffle the noise and block bursts of light.
- Use Proper I.D. Make sure your pooch is wearing correct identification and tags just in case he or she becomes scared and runs away from home. Microchipping also is a great precaution.
- Keep the goodies at bay! Keep your pet away from used and unused fireworks, as well as alcoholic beverages, human foods and other 4th of July treats since many of these items can be harmful.
- Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
- Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
- Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.