|Rocco combines balancing with hiking during our trip to Fort Lauderdale last week|
It's gotten us thinking about enrichment activities and why they're so important for both you and your dog. We all know the benefits of getting out and getting active with our pups. Not only is the physical activity good for both, but so is the mental stimulation and simply the act of clearing your head to help make room for new thoughts and ideas.
Both Pups and Humans Benefit from Enrichment
Rocco and I love a good hike, playing agility and doing tricks training. Enrichment activities can make both our lives more meaningful, not to mention helping keep Rocco from getting bored, antsy or even depressed. And it helps us humans too, in much the same way.
What's also interesting is that dogs need both social interaction AND time for solo play. And BOTH help enrich your dog's life and your relationship with them.
Leading a balanced life for health and well being
Here are some tips for both types of enrichment activities, inspired by the folks at PAW5.
These are the activities that you and your dog do together the help build your bond and a healthy lifestyle. They also help to promote trust and good communication between you and your pup.
- Physical Fitness -- activities like running, walking, swimming and hiking
- Training -- basic training (like manners and obedience skills) and tricks training (our favorite!)
- Sports -- agility tops our list, and there are lots of other favorites like nose works, disc dogs and flyball
- Games -- we love problem solving games like find it or hide 'n seek
Solo play enrichment
Equally important is the time your dog spends alone entertaining themselves. Enrichment products can provide mental stimulation to aid in their overall well being. A few examples:
- Chews -- I couldn't live without chews. Rocco loves them, they keep him occupied and they're good for his teeth and gums
- Interactive feeders -- we just received the new Rock 'N Bowl puzzle feeder from PAW5 and Rocco LOVES it! Its design encourages thinking, problem solving and fun, and it's fun to watch, too. I'll share more about it next week and you can also learn more at the #PAW5Launch Twitter party. Hope you'll join us!
|Rocco tries out the new Rock 'N Bowl, batting at it and tipping it until the food drops out!|
Want to know more about the Rock 'N Bowl and enter for a chance to win one? Head over to our #PAW5Launch RSVP post now!
What are your favorite enrichment activities to do with your dogs? Let us know in the comments below!
The fun and games continue every Friday with FitDog Friday, the weekly Blog Hop brought to you by To Dog With Love, SlimDoggy and My GBGV Life to promote a healthy active lifestyle for pets (and their people, too!). Join in every Friday by linking up your FitDog story or visiting the blogs in the hop.